• For youth eligible to receive federal foster care benefits while in foster care
  • Prospective guardian and child welfare agency must execute the negotiated Voluntary Placement Agreement prior to the date when the court orders the guardianship


  • For non-federally-eligible youth placed by juvenile court in an approved home of a CalWORKs funded relative


  • Youth must have been declared a dependent of the juvenile court
  • Youth must reside with an approved relative guardian for at least 6 consecutive months or a voluntary placement agreement
  • Youth must have a kinship guardianship established with that relative by juvenile court
  • Youth must have his/her court case dismissed by either the dependency court or the delinquency court at the same time or subsequent to the establishment of the guardianship
  • The relative guardian and the county agency (or Indian tribe) must negotiate and enter into a written, Kin-GAP agreement setting forth the amount of payment.

Kin-GAP Beyond Age 18:

Eligible Populations Form

Youth who turned 16 before the negotiated Kin-GAP payments commenced may be eligible for extended Kin-GAP benefits beyond age 18, and up until 21 as long as the youth meets one of the five participation conditions.

KG3 Mutual Agreement

Youth who turned 16 after the negotiated Kin-GAP payments commenced but who are expected to complete high school or an equivalent program before they turn 19 can continue to receive Kin-GAP until they graduate or turn 19, whichever comes first.

KG1 Mutual Agreement

A youth, regardless of age of entry into Kin-GAP, may continue to receive Kin-GAP up until age 21 if he/she has a physical or mental disability that warrants continuing assistance beyond age 18 and up until 21.

KG3 Mutual Agreement

For more information about how AB 12 affected Kin-GAP, including information on the Kin-GAP benefit amount, refer to the AB 12 Primer section on Kin-GAP.

What about youth residing with Non-Related LegalGuardians (NRLG)?